Minutes of Meeting on 03/01/17 at 6:00pm
This week’s meeting covers the future of CompSoc.
Joshua Green, Viktorija Lukosuite, Qais Patankar, Susanne Koster, Aw Young Qingzhuo
- 68 people coming from the Netherlands
- AGM is on the 15th March, event is going up tomorrow
- End of year party is on the 4th April
- SDP is over on the 8th of April
- Annual report is in progress
- Hack the Burgh is going okay
- Committee handover bowling sesh
- Picnic in a few weeks time
- And a picnic a few weeks after freshers week
- Games night
- requires a lot of hardware
- Stored safely overnight, and actually stay at the event
- Threat of hardware getting damaged or lost
Future of CompSoc
- Being a member of CompSoc, what benefits do you get?
- How many events are paid?
- There’s no sense of community
- STMUs: pizza, and sponsors present themselves, as well as other talks
- We have a group split
- Drinkers and non-drinkers
- We need to cater for both, but appear to just cater for non drinkers
- has a lot of socials, most go to drinking, some go to talks
- Liaise with them to not clash events
- Has “sub-committees”, board has managers for “socials”, etc.
- Social manager has their own team that handles small stuff
- Constitutional change
- for SIGs?
- You must be in the same year as the year rep you are running for.
- HackSec should be appointed, not elected.
- We can’t have a complete newbie running things, Hack the Burgh is a valuable asset.
- It requires dedication, we can’t have people dropping out.
- STMUs are Vice President events, not SocialSec’s
- Freshers: are very keen, and need to be shown the ropes
- The circle is shrinking, we need to improve the community
- We need to be closer with Informatics, School of Maths shows up to MathSoc events
- we can get them sent to all the informatics, but we don’t want to spam. NH is okay with this.
- School of Maths has weekly newsletters, which include “MathSoc is doing…”
- Informatics has weekly blog emails, if we can get them to change it to a weekly newsletter, containing the blog update, compsoc, and general events
- As a tech society, we don’t have a lot of tech
- Designated projects people can work on as a society
- WebSIG needs to be expanded and have their own projects